Friday, February 5, 2010

Fourteen Nuu-chah-nulth First Nations are divided into three regions: Southern Region:Ditidaht, Huu-ay-aht, Hupacasath, Tse-shaht, and Uchucklesaht Central Region:Ahousaht, Hesquiaht, Tla-o-qui-aht, Toquaht, and Ucluelet Northern Region:Ehattesaht, Kyuquot/Cheklesahht, Mowachat/Muchalaht, and Nuchatlaht The Northern region is where my Great-grandma Louise was Ahousaht by birth. My Great-grandpa Olebar was Kyuquot and this is how I'm with the Kyuquot band for registration.There is one nation with several bands in it. the nation is called Nuu-chah-nuth my band is Ka:’YU;’K’T’H’ my band Ka:’YU;’K’T’H’ is only accessible by boat or plane because its along the Coast, the land is richly filled with trees , big pine trees and, it use too be lavished with cedar trees as well. Although I was born in Seattle,WA. My great grandma Luise Cambell had some strong influences on me; the only thing I regrett is not learning how to make wool coats as she did. My greatgrandma use to make me smile when she would correct me for not addressing her name correctly, that is "great"grandma; she use to talk our language but, I could only catch on too a few words. Greatgrandma luise would not only wool clothes and blankets and baby booties and hats, she would bead jewlery, she introduced me to foods like fried bread, white fish eggs (herring) that were gritty and salty but great on a cracker.She also had close family ties to my relatives in Vancover,B.C , that would visit us in Seattle and bring mason jars jammed with fresh salmon, canned after the season.great grandma. My great grandma luise would speak of traditions such as dancing and how woman dancers have to were shawls when dancing on sacred ground(ussually at pow-wows)a

No comments:

Post a Comment